Monday, March 17, 2014

Digital Expatriate My Answer to Digital Natives

On my birthday I pondered how none of us chooses the circumstances of our beginning. It's not my fault I was born before personal computers, cell phones and cable television. It is only my fault if I fail to adapt to these.

Way back in 2001 game designer MarcPrensky coined the term “digital natives” to describe a generation that grew up after the introduction of personal computing. His premise is that this younger generation thinks differently. Exposure to computers, video games and cell phones means their brains are hardwired differently, Prensky theorizes.

Those born in a time of analog television and slide rules he characterized as “digital immigrants.” While this older generation may learn to use e-mail, Google and texting, Prenksy suggested those over 20 will never be quite as adept, will always "speak" technology with an "accent."

It's a fun and clever way to demarcate the generations.

I propose to take Prensky's metaphor one step further. I declare myself a “digital expatriate.”

Some immigrants never truly adopt their new nation. They barely learn to speak the language. They hold tightly to their old country's culture. They prefer the food of their homeland.

However other immigrants embrace their new nation. They work hard to learn the language, embrace the culture and acquire new tastes.

While I cannot turn the clock back 30 years, I can learn, adapt, evolve. I take pride in being an early adopter. I love the digital country, couldn't wait to get my hands on a personal computer, was in at the beginning. I happily started with a Radio Shack TRS80, moved through any number of PCs, IBM and otherwise, and finally a Mac, migrating from TRS DOS through DOS, Windows and Macintosh. (I loved that Radio Shack Model 100; it ran on AA batteries!) I started with a pager, graduated to a car phone, then a flip and now a smart and never looked back.

Working in marketing requires an open perspective. You keep looking ahead to stay ahead.

When I had my own shot at an ad agency, Influential Communications, I declared marketing metamorphosis and accented the point with this image.




I love technology. I can't wait for what comes next. I declare myself a digital expatriate.


No comments:

Post a Comment